Where can I get mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gypsi, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

My local feed store can't seem to get them, and I think my production reds want me to start a mealworm farm so they will lay good strong eggs...

(inexpensively would be preferred)

Thank you,

Gypsi

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I got some last month from these guys: http://www.southernbaitworms.com/ and have been happy with the purchase so far. There are a lot fo suppliers though, so if you do a search here or on Google you'll have quite a few choices.

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    About any pet store.

Ever tried to catch a cricket? I'll get my ladies some crickets now and then at the pet store. I don't believe any of them ever hit the ground.

Mealworms and the meal they're in, they can peck for a good bit, making sure they haven't missed any.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    any bait and tackle store even wal-mart usually has them but they usually only come in like 2 dozen so if u want volume prob better off finding a online distributer and some people raise them on here so maybe they could help you if u wanted to go that route.

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
  6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a large container of freeze dried mealworms in Lowe's .. in the wild bird feeding aisle.

7. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I actually just bought mine at Petco today. You can order them online from Petco also. [​IMG]

8. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    You can get them from people here (listed on the mealworm farming thread) and also off ebay, the web, pet stores, and bait shops. I recently got 2000 off ebay and have been really happy with them.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I'm going to get them from the byc member listed on the mealworm thread. No luck locally, for some reason, we have a mealworm dearth in Texas pet stores (the ones I've checked anyway)

Thank you!

10. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    Lowe's by the bird seed. Much better deal than I've seen at any pet store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by