where can I get Russian Orloffs? Or other rare breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coldinnh, Jul 11, 2010.

1. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    I am not really looking to do the whole show thing but would love to protect and raise some old breeds that are cold hardy. I like the Orloff and would like an American breed as well that is "endanger" of being bred out... any ideas. My DH doesn't know but we need to add to our flock of 20- he thinks we only need 12 but we have 2 +/- of deforested lawn,field, organic garden and would love to see a flock of chicks running around keeping the bugs down.

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    do you want eggs? or chicks? rare feathers farm is near me (in wa state) I know she ships eggs, not sure about chicks...she does have orloffs

3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Raise Dominiques they are part of USA history, hardy, cold tolerant, productive and friendly. Do an on-line search and you will enjoy their story. IDEAL hatchery in Cameron TX has many different breeds including the Russian Orloff. IDEAL is most likely the largest hatchery as far as the amount of birds they ship out annually so most likely you will need to cull out a few birds but many folks are satisfied with their service.

4. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    If you'd like to raise a very rare breed that is very cold hardy, Greenfire Farms imported Swedish flower hens about a month ago and we will be offering juvenile pairs in a few months. This is the first time this breed has been in North America and perhaps the first time it has ever existed outside Sweden. About a thousand Swedish flower hens exist in the world and are scattered in about fifty flocks in several small Swedish villages. This breed is a landrace that evolved about 500 years ago in southern Sweden. I hope this helps. Good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have both Mahogany & Spangled Russian Orloffs. I bought my birds from members of the Orloff Club. I won't have any eggs until fall or perhaps next spring. I've ordered Orloffs from Sandhill & Ideal with VERY pet-quality results. I had to sell them ALL after raising them for months. They had the wrong colored legs (pink instead of yellow) and the Spangled were closer to mottled and mostly white. [​IMG]

In my opinion, if you're into preservation, I'd suggest that you start out with show-quality birds, even if you're not into showing. There is no sense in reproducing poor-quality birds that are far from the standard or that will take you YEARS to get close to it when you can buy direct from a real breeder (not a hatchery).

It costs just as much to house/feed NICE birds as it does crappy ones. [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I would suggest Dom's or Javas as far as an American breed. They are both on my wish list. [​IMG]

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If you just want a backyard flock and are not necessarily looking for show birds, try some of the mail-order hatcheries like Ideal or McMurray. They carry a big variety of common and unusual breeds for pretty low prices. I've been happy so far with what I ordered.

8. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    stone: is that a Swedish Flower? She beautiful. I am looking for chicks (me and time/schedules are not so great companions so eggs are out) and can certainly wait until next year. I have been checking McMurrays, which is who we got our first batch of chicks from and did not see Orloffs. I also checked I think Ideal and My pet Chicken? I love the look of the Dom.
    Has anyone read or seen the Latest issue of Chickens Mag? I am wondering what the breeds are that shown in the article on "Showing your chickens.."they have the white feather rimmed with black the birds are just beautiful. I think they maybe bantams.
    Thanks for the advice and leads.
    I dont think any 'real' shows are coming up in the NE area so should I go to the local State Fairs and check out the birds?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  9. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Yes, that is a picture of a Swedish flower hen. They come in a number of colors, and it is acceptable for the breed for a bird to have a feather crest on its head. They are an extremely hardy breed, adapted for cold weather and a free range environment. This link provides some good info on native Swedish breeds (Google translation can help).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy ( http://www.albc-usa.org/ ) has a section on Heritage Chickens, showing their conservation priority and providing a breed comparison to help you choose the right chicken for you. There is also a list of chicken breeders who are preserving Heritage chickens, and a list of hatcheries which have Heritage breeds for order (though ALBC suggests you speak with them before actually ordering, as well as checking their reputation). There are links to Breed Clubs as well. It might be a good place for you to begin your search.

Russian Orloff is on the list of most critical breeds. Java is on the Threatened list, and Dominique is on the Watch list. Lots of folks here like Delawares, which are on the Threatened list. Buckeye, Chantecler, and Holland breeds are on the Critical list and are unique to North America, and I've seen several posts by folks who have Buckeyes and Chanteclers. I'm glad you're interested!

Chickens are addictive, hatching even more so, and the complexities of Chicken Math bewilder us all. Have a good time hunting for your special chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by