1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can i get some Oyster Shells?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tlammy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    I just heard that its necessary for ducks to have Oyster Shells if you want them to lay eggs...
    where do i get them and how do i feed it to them?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Get crushed oyster shells at a feed store that sells chicken feed, or at a store like Tractor Supply.

Feed them 'free choice' == meaning that you put them out for the bird to eat if it so desires. I have "cage cups" that clip on the wire of the run....and I keep the oyster shell in there. You can also provide the calcium your birds need by feeding crushed egg shells back to them.

3. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Oh.. ok.. how long are they good for..??

4. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I got mine at TSC (Tractor Supply Company)

I will go down and check, but it's just crushed Oyster Shell, so being more or less a rock, I don't think they will ever expire.

I fact, I don't think i even opened mine and i bought it about a year and a half ago.

Edit: Ok i just checked and it just has a manufacture/packaging date of May 15 2010 and no expriation date.

You can assume the same thing for grit (crushed Granite), because i bought them at the same time from TSC.

If you do not have a TSC, check another feed store or a place that sells chickens.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I REALLY don't think they have an expiration date. It doesn't mold or decay.

6. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Oh.. ok.. what time should i start feeding them the shells??
    Around spring..??

7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    We eat oysters in the shell alot.
    We save the shells and crush with a hammer
    The birds do fine, as far as I know with these.
    I don't know why you would have to wait til spring.

8. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Quote:Spring = Babies

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I just keep the oyster shell available all the time and let the ducks decide when they need it. They know when they are low and eat some. It doesn't expire, they might break down a bit over the years, but its inert basically. Once a year or so my 20+ ducks need a new bag, its easy and cheap and makes sure they have what they need. If your ducks aren't laying now, you could wait until spring to start though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by