Where can I get the purest real deal heritage chickens?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by CodyP, Mar 10, 2015.

1. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Well, this is my first post so I might as well get down to the point lol

I don't have any chickens and these will be my first. I'm not planning on breeding right now but I might in the future so I do want to have pure heritage breeds and make sure they aren't mixed. I definitely don't want to order from a hatchery because of horror stories but at the same time I just like to stay away from big people that may not have a handle on quality control. I'm not planning on doing shows either so they don't have to have certain shades here and there..

my main focus is on preserving bloodlines.. I will probably make this a major endeavor in life because I just think it's right, but I'm 22 with limited finances so chickens are my first go to instead of cattle or other livestock..

I'm only doing hens to start learning but I'm interested in Plymouth rocks (mainly barred), Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, and maybe Brahmas

I'm looking for docile birds with egg production in mind and limited broodiness.. but with reasonable standards.. I understand hatcheries will be great layers but I want the purest blood with the best egg laying possible.. I'm willing to trade off production for a pure heritage..

Thanks,
    CP

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You can look into some of the breed threads. You can also subscribe to the Poultry Press to locate breeders, or join the APA. You get a yearbook from them that lists master breeders, and some have ads.

For exhibition Rocks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/811228/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread/3960

Ameraucana thread. Of course there are a lot of Easter Egger discussion diversions on this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...sting-pictures-and-discussing-our-birds/26650

Brahma breeders

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/640

Orpington thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/357588/orpington-thread/300

1 person likes this.
  3. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Awesome thank you very much! is there any harm in shipping them live? I've seen some discussion of this.. and seeing that I can't have any roosters atm I really need to get live ones to know for sure.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, if you can only have hens then maybe you should consider starting with some hatchery sexed pullets. You could try out each breed you are interested in and see which ones you prefer. Then locate some better stock when you are able to set up breeding pens. Most breeders only sell straight run chicks.

5. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA

6. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ok thank you for all of that information. I don't think I'd like shipping them either.. too much can happen and I don't want to stress them either. I'll check out to see if there are shows in my area.. Is it like gun shows where people will walk around with pieces of paper on their backs telling what they are selling? I wouldn't know what to expect at a chicken show much less who to talk to lol

7. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA

8. CodyP

CodyP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Ok thank you, I have actually found some people within driving distance myself and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable and well liked so I will probably give them a shot :D I guess I'm lucky to be so attracted to the birds that are fairly abundant and have a good population to choose from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by