1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I put my extra roo??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bufforp89, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I just got another rooster today that I was supposed to get when I picked up my red star hens. I have him in a large dog crate in the hall of my mini barn but he cant stay there forever. I am wondering if he would do OK if I put him in the dog kennel that I keep my single roosters in? I have two blue cochins that are in it now (both roos) with no ladies and they have done great together. Could I put him in the rooster pen or are they going to fight?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    At least initially, they will fight. It depends on the roos and how stubborn they are. If they establish pecking order quickly, it may all be over in a matter of minutes. Or they might fight till someone gets killed. Or they may just keep each other tore up all the time without fatalities. No hens gives you a better chance. You can always give it a try while you are going to be around to keep an eye out for real trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by