1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where can you take chickens for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by destorieswind, Dec 15, 2008.

1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Lets say you get a few too many roos in a coop and now you need to downsize...
    where can you take chickens to get money for selling as meat?
    Local stores?
    the roos are about one year old.

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    At a year old, you'd get very little for them, as they're way to tough by now for anything but stewing, like in a crock pot. So unless you have lots of them, (hundreds?) you'd be better served to put them in your own freezer, and crock pot them as needed, use the meat for any tasty dish you'd use cooked chicken meat for. You can also pressure can them, I'd be very surprised if any meat remained tough after pressure canning.

When selling chickens commercially for meat, I think you would have to make arrangements beforehand with a company to buy them from you once they're market size. A grocery store doesn't buy from individuals, and certainly not year-old birds.

In most states, even selling directly to the public, you must have your birds processed by an approved facility, and that costs anywhere up to $4 per bird, depending on your location.

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yes they'll be tough meat.....When i have a problem Roo I send him to an Italian neighbour...and his wife makes broth.....I cannot do the deed...

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Just broth? Oh my! Crock pot cooked tough old roo is one of my favorite meats! People who only use the broth are missing out. Cook til the meat falls off the bones, yum!

I use it in enchiladas, BBQ sandwiches, chicken and dumplings, pot pies, stir fry, tamales, burritos, with pasta, even make chicken hash, adding it to a big pan of fried potatoes and onions. Gumbo, jambalaya, chicken salad....

Greyfield's favorite is Coq au Vin.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you want to convert them to cash, your only option is finding a livestock auction which accepts poultry.

They are probably worth more to you as food than they would fetch at auction. So, finding a processor and just keeping them for yourself may be your better option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by