Where did all the eggs go??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johnj16, Nov 11, 2011.

1. johnj16

johnj16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    Hello y'all,

I am betting that my questions have been answered on this forum in the past, but out of laziness I post it again in hopes of getting some opinions.

I have a 2 leghorn (2 yrs old), 4 RIR (3 of them 1 1/2 year old and one 8 months old), and 2 Buff O's and 2 Jersey Giants (all 8 months old). I am getting a grand total of 0 eggs a day. We have not had an egg for almost a month.

I know 2 of the RIR are molting, and I think the older Leghorns might be as well. Do they all molt at the same time?? These birds have been awesome egg layers in the past, but nothing now. As for the young ones, I was expecting eggs a long time ago from them. Not sure what the holdup is. Their diet is layer feed and there has been no stress. In fact, I am concerned that they may be a little too fat.

I have added three hours of light to the coop for the past week. Maybe the light is not bright enough because some of the ladies still roost.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

John

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Molting, less day light hours... All will cause them to quit laying!! [​IMG]

It might take a week or so after you add the light to get their bodies going again!! Do you have the light coming on in the morning or in the evening??

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    How's the weather been? Some of mine don't like colder temps too much

4. johnj16

johnj16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    I have been turning it on as it gets dark outside

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The best way, it seems to me, is to use a timer. Have the light come on at 5 am and go off at 9 am, when it is no longer needed. This increases their light by up to 3 hours a day, which is usually enough to keep them in pretty good laying.

This gets them up earlier to eat, drink and move about. Some folks also extend the day an hour or two at dusk, but choose not to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by