Where did all these eggs come from??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwatts, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hi all, a couple weeks ago my hens really started slowing down egg production, I was only getting 2-3 a day. All of the sudden the last two days im getting 9 eggs a day. How does tis happen? I have not given them anymore light. I never expected to see this many eggs in the cold weather.

2. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    same happened to me ealier in the week. Whe had three days of rain and only one egg laid in three days, the first day the rain quit and we had some sun, 4 eggs in one day (and I only have 3 hens laying)

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They finished molting (growing new feathers) some chickens will start laying again before spring. I too have recently had an increase in eggs, just in time for the new years hatch. [​IMG] they are freeloaders no longer

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I made a deal with mine. Or you might say I threatened um. They came runnin for some treats and I stop all of um on the spot and told them this is a two way deal we have here. They give me eggs and I give them treats. It seems to have worked. Egg production has picked up.[​IMG]

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    When I first started raising my chickens, waiting for the first eggs was really rough, I started showing them the BBQ Grill and telling them I was eating one way or another, Chicken or eggs your choice! LOL The bluff didn't work but I did eventually get eggs/ [​IMG]

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I ended up with 4 duck eggs in 1 day...and I only have 1 female duck

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY

She must have had a hidden clutch then, they will often bury their eggs, silly things...Impossible for her to lay 4 in 1 day unless she was all egg bound and backed up. And you would know as she would be dead most likely.

8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane

She must have had a hidden clutch then, they will often bury their eggs, silly things...Impossible for her to lay 4 in 1 day unless she was all egg bound and backed up. And you would know as she would be dead most likely.

I don't think there was a hidden clutch, The eggs were all in the chicken coop and I had only started locking the ducks in there the night before. Before that they had spent the night in the chicken pen, but coop was closed so they couldn't get in there with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by