1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where did her eggs go???? Im just dumbfounded

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cackling Hen, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Ok I have my cochin sitting on 8 eggs for 2 weeks now. She made her nest in the woods next to my Jap who hatched out 9 2 weeks ago no problem. I went out of town for 2 days all was good when I left. My hubby and son were home. I came home yesterday checked all the chicks ect. I sat outside for a bit and Winny thats the mama who is sitting was out longer than normal and she was just swaking and pacing??? I ran over to her nest and looked in NO EGGS not even shells Im just dumb founded what took her eggs I have never ever had a problem in 15 years out here My german shepard keeps everything out of the yard... He wont let nothing into the yard I do have rats and we have feral/pole cats? could they have taken the eggs????

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My guess would be a snake (or more than one). Could also be a raccoon, rat, etc.

3. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Oh I'm so sorry!

4. Cackling Hen

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Thank you I guess thats the chance I take for letting her sit out in the woods [​IMG] I just am sick over it, She had a week to go, Its so sad watching her she knows her babies are gone

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Racoon, possum, snake, rodents, dogs, just about anything. Be careful. Now that the eggs are gone, the chickens might be next.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you have a couple of extra chicks try popping them in the nest and see if she takes to them. She may not, but it'd be worth a shot.

7. Cackling Hen

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Thats what i was thinking There coming for my chickens next [​IMG] She did go into coop by herself last night and this morning she is running around with the flock I guess it wasnt meant to be Just not knowing is killing me

8. Cackling Hen

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    well just to see I put three egg where her clutch was and 2 hrs later my son says MOM i see who is taking they eggs There goes my neighbors dog across the yard with 1 in its mouth Oh im sooooooooooo mad!!!!!

9. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That would have been my guess while I was reading this thread. My Aunt has a dog that likes to find nests and deliver them to her front door. She had a dozen wild turkey eggs "delivered" to her and didn't know what to do with them. She knew that I was incubating eggs at the time so she called me. Seven out of the dozen actually hatched and I had intentions of releasing them back into the wild when they were big enough. A coon had other plans for them and killed every single one along with 10 of my own chicks. I blame this on my ex-GF who thought that the brooder house needed to be "cooled down" during the day and forgot to shut the door in the evening.
    It may have been a blessing because I did find out later that my action of hatching out those eggs were actually illegal and could have been fined for doing it. Any egg of a native species bird needs to be turned over to the DNR in what they call an abandoned nest. Please check your local state laws before making the same mistake I did. I was totally unaware of this before I inquired about it. I really thought that I was doing a good thing. Keep yourself safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by