Where did I go wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken legs, Jun 8, 2008.

1. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    This is my 2nd hatch. Well..it didn't go so well. Of 12, I have 1 that hatched and another that we "helped" out on day 22 (today)(from shipped bantam eggs). The one we helped, has an unclosed stomach and just lies with neck stretched out and eyes sealed shut to weak to pick itself up, with rapid labored breathing. If nature is kind it won't be here tomorrow.
    The one that hatched out by itself on day 22 has curled feet that it can't stand on, and unhealed bloody stomach also, and down that falls off when handled to try to fix feet. Prognosis is not looking good for that one either. Bator shot up to 103 first 3 days . I turned egg turner off on day 18 but forgot to add more water. Needless to say, I feel terrible about making life so difficult for these poor guys and am wishing I never did this to begin with. What would cause unhealed stomachs, late hatching, and chick sticking to shell? Thanks in advance for any constructive brainstorming on this with me.

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    It sounds like your thermometer is way off. This can cause all the symptoms you describe. Are the chicks stickey and crunchy when they dry? This is caused by residual albumen, caused by low temps and will cause the chick to stick to the shell.

3. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    seems that your temp. is too low, this usually causes abnormalities and deformation, is your incubator accurate, if its homemade conceder getting a better one, for the chick with curled feet try and fix his feet to cardboard boards with tape to try and straighten them, he should be up in 2 days, i had the same problem, the yolk hadn't been absorbed properly my duck and chick soon gave up and died [​IMG]

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hi Chicken legs!

So sorry to here about your hatch. :aww From what I've heard, high temps. in the first few days of hatching can cause their stomachs to be abnormal and low humidity can cause the membrane to dry out. That's probably why the chick needed help hatching. Low temps can cause a late hatch too. See what other people say though; I'm no expert at hatching. Hope your next hatch goes better!

5. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by