where did I see a member use stumps instead of ramp?

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
I know I didnt dream it.. a member I thought on this forum used various height stumps for chicken to get out of coop. instead of a RAMP.. Neat idea.. I thought I bookmarked it or saved it...
My new Coop height from chute is 30 inches tall... will cut off good shaped telephone or electric poles..cut various heights be okay? prob they are 8 inches in diameter...course kept upright properly....with no spacing in between...
how tall of step should they be ? anyway to do the math ???
thanks all

I've seen it too, with like 12-14" diameter 'stumps'....but I think 8" is kinda small.
Ramps are pretty simple outta scrap wood.

Stick 'em in and see if the chickens can navigate them. I suspect that leaving a few tasty crumbs on each stump will improve their pathfinding abilities considerably.

Hubby did the telephone pole route with scrap lumber on top. will take pic tomorrow . he staked them with concrete stakes pins... with a screw to steady them. It took a while cause he had to chainsaw them to length one at a time... I believe five of the "poles" in various heights
Ramp would have been steep...
Looks good...But nice sized stumps been easier..... cedar esp since is not a desirable firewood
did the ramp thing in the tractor coop and its real steep
Thanks all

Last edited:
I use stumps for various things in the coop...one for help in getting up to roosts and two smaller ones for getting into nests. Big stump below...

This pic below shows the cedar stump size for getting into the nests, approx. 6-7 in. diameter.....this was taken when I was building the nest boxes. Since then they have used these very well to get into the nests, so I'm thinking they would do just fine if these were spaced adequately for flying/hopping from one to the next to get into a coop...but 30 in. high isn't all that high, so you might just need a few.

Hubby did the telephone pole route with scrap lumber on top. will take pic tomorrow . he staked them with concrete stakes pins... with a screw to steady them. It took a while cause he had to chainsaw them to length one at a time... I believe five of the "poles" in various heights
Ramp would have been steep...
Looks good...But nice sized stumps been easier..... cedar esp since is not a desirable firewood
did the ramp thing in the tractor coop and its real steep
Thanks all
Pics?

Ramps can be a problem in short spaces, but bottom of ramp doesn't need to be on the ground...I put mine on a concrete block standing tall.

Back
Top Bottom