Where did Number 11 go? Mystery Solved!!

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I checked my broody hen today and I counted her eggs. I counted 10 but 4 days ago I counted 11! What happened to number 11. The coop is nice and tight nothing can get into that place not even a mouse..LOL. I don't see any broken ones or hidden ones. What happened to number 11? I know I counted them right!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I counted my eggs again today and now another is missing I am down to 9 eggs whats going on???

Where she is nothing can get in or out????

Could a mouse or rat be getting in their with her and stealing her eggs???

Or is she or the hen doing it?

Iv heard if a hen has too many eggs she may kick some out of the nest?

Should I move her to a smaller place where I can watch her?

I'd hate to move her she may not sit on the eggs anymore

I don't know what to do!

Someone help me!

Rodents are nocturnal and birds don't see well at night. If a mouse or rat stole the eggs, it's probable it happened overnight and the bird was sleeping.

You could try putting her in a dog crate to protect her & the eggs.

would they only steal one at a time? Wouldnt they come back for more?

I'd hate to move her she only has 12 days left and I'd hate for her to quit sitting on the eggs.

Maybe she is rolling them out during the night and the other hens are eating them when it gets light out ?? I would try the crate idea !! Then you will know if its the hen or somthing else !!

There isn't any other hens in with her just a roo. He has been in with her twice while she was broody and has never touched an egg. I am going to check tomorrow and see if I am missing anymore. If so I will crate her till the eggs hatch.

I'll update tomorrow!

I didn't get to count my eggs today. Momma hen would not move a bit at all for nothing today.

I did however find half a egg shell in the run. It was mostly the whole egg shell only a part of it missing. I pulled it out and looked at it but couldnt tell much.

So I don't know I'm wondering now if this is one of the disapered eggs or is some of my chicks hatching?

If this is one of the eggs that is missing what happened is my roo busting the eggs? IDK he has been in twice with my hen when she was broody and has never touched eggs nor chicks.

I wouldn't put it by any/most chickens/rooster to take the eggs and eat/peck/kill them !! I think sometimes the hen might roll them out or lose them and another will grab, break and run, or step on and break !! kinda stinks for you !! I would put her in a crate like mentioned so they dont all go missing !! Plus to keep the babies safe if something/the rooster is bothering her. If the eggs are going missing you wouldnt want the babies to go missing also.... If the egg was to hatch you would hear "peep peeping"

Back
Top Bottom