Where did that white egg come from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I bought all my chicks at Tractor Supply 1st wk of April except for one a black australorpe hen that I bought from an individual breeder 3 wks later. I started getting eggs latter part of Aug (earlier than I expected by 3-4 wks) I thought these brown eggs came from 3 hens, identical which I think are red sex link sometimes called golden comet. My other hens are barred rocks. The only breed I have that lays white eggs is a brown leghorn but mine is definitely a he: crows, mates, mounts, fights and has marvelous tail, hackle feathers and spurs.
    Everybody looks like their breed however 3 of my barred rock hens are very dark and 2 lighter but still darker than the roos. The BA looks full blooded, was with a group of brown egg layers although they were isolated by breed and is too young to lay(i think).
    The white egg appeared 3 days ago with no increase in number of eggs (3/day max)

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't have any facts to back this up, only what I've observed with my own flock.
    I have LF brahmas and they are without a doubt brown egg layers. However, their shades of brown run from pinkish to dark brown and every once in awhile someone throws an egg in there that's so light it would have to be classified as cream.
    IMO, this is more likely to happen with hatchery stock as their bloodlines aren't as true as breeder or show quality.

3. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks, this one was bright white no way i could call it tinted, though.
    Could maybe a white leghorn roo had a fling with a bard rock at the hatchery??

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] THANK YOU!! I couldn't figure out who routinely lays a cream colored egg here! I do have two light brahmas, so it might be one of them. Or else it's an EE! I stayed in the coop for 3 hrs the other morning trying to figure it out. Never did! HAHAHH! None of the EEs or the LBs layed while I was out there! Figures! [​IMG]

5. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    2 more very white eggs today (one could have been laid yesterday late) They are small compared to the brown ones so I think these are someone's first eggs.

My leghorn roo can do a great imitation of the egg song but I'm sure he is not responible.

If you have a cross breed who determines the egg color: roo or hen?? Do hatcheries goof up like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by