1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where did the extra egg come from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpotJL, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    We have four hens all 7 months old. 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Buff Orpingtons. Easter e- Katheryne has been laying for a while, Buff Sara also Laying, Buff Jennyfer started laying yesterday. Easter e- Emily shows no sign of laying (she doesn't Squatt, is skinnier than rest, no trips to nesting box, no vocalizing.)

Here's todays mistery, at at 9:30 am today I pick up one egg each from Katheryn and Sara (blue & brown). At 4pm today I find another big blue egg it is cold, could Katheryn have laid 2 eggs today? Could it have been Emily even though she doesn't look and act it?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Maybe it was left over from another day and you just didn't see it. Check the width of your other hens pubic bones to see if she laid it .

3. SpotJL

Dec 26, 2012
    That could be possible, I don't know how to measure the pubic bone.

4. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well you take and see how many fingers their pubic bones are spread out. I find if three or more fit they are laying. To find them go to the chickens vent area and feel around eventually you will find two pointy like bones and you measure the space between them. Not sure if that was a good enough description but that's the best I have.

5. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. SpotJL

Dec 26, 2012
    Figured it out, egg was layed by Emily who I thought was not in laying condition. But it turns out that she is the signs are just much more subtle with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by