Where did the idea to use geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AnitaE, Jan 4, 2015.

1. AnitaE

AnitaE Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    as guard dogs come from? I am a member on several chicken list and geese list and people are always asking about using geese to guard their other flock. My geese are the biggest chickens ever!LOL They try and act tough as long as something isn't coming towards them...but if something comes towards them they take off running yelling at the top of their lungs and they don't care if the other animals are safe or not!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol, i've never had them actually guard anything (except their nests) but they are great to warn you of danger in the coop so you can run out there with your shotgun and dog [​IMG]

3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Geese are really more of an alarm not guard animals,

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    The Egyptian Goose were bred by Egyptians to be guard geese. But I agree most of them are for alarm.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] your geese sound alot like mine. and I have wondered the same thing when people ask about getting geese to protect their flock, When the Red Tail Hawk came down and got my lil bantam the geese were up against the gate right along with the ducks and no one but my rooster made a sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by