Where did their leg colour come from?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krista74, Jan 3, 2015.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I crossed my BO rooster (whitish legs, currently with a pink flush) with my RIR hens (yellow legs) and I got some chicks that have yellow legs, some that have whitish legs like their Dad, and some that appear (in the right lighting) to have a greyish-greenish tint to them.

Is this just a combination of the two colours or should I suspect there is a mix somewhere along the line?

Thanks in advance!

- Krista

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are your chicks? I've seen leg color change a bit as a new chicks matures.

The white is usually dominant, so most of them should have white or pink legs. Do you have pics?

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    The chicks are now 11 weeks old.

I will get a picture when I can, but right now there is a brown snake in the coop (somewhere) so I'm not keen to go in on my own while hubby is away at work!

- Krista

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I do have a picture from a week or so ago, but I suspect it doesn't quite reflect the true colour of their legs. Certainly in this picture they look grey-ish. Their Daddy's legs are a whitish colour, quite pale and not at all like this. And Momma's legs are a distinct bright yellow. In the correct lighting the chick's legs are sort of a pale greenish colour.

[​IMG]

- Krista

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Genetics are unpredictable. Some chicks will inherit the leg color from the parents. It's possible it could be a combination, but most likely, there could be a distant relative that had green legs (you never know with hatchery stock...) and it was passed down to them.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Huh [​IMG]

Sure not what I'd expect from that cross. No chance of any other parentage, I'm guessing? You sound pretty positive.

I'd love to get niclandia's thoughts on this--not sure if he's around much anymore. He's done some good posts about shank color in the past.

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    No, I have no doubts about parentage. Daddy is a Buff Orpington (the one in my avatar) and I only keep Rhode Island Red and Buff Orpington hens. I know for sure these chicks are not pure BO's as I removed all of the BO eggs from my hens and set RIR eggs for hatching only. My BO's lay sausage shaped eggs which are too small, so I didn't give Momma any of those to hatch out. And since we are literally in the middle of no-where out here, there are no other roosters popping by for visits either!

As I said, all my RIR's have bright yellow legs. Daddy and the 2 BO girls all have pale whitish legs. I was prepared for either once the chicks hatched, but light green I did not expect! It's not a drama either way, I was just curious to how it might have happened.

I do thank you for your time and thoughtful comments though.

- Krista

8. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Very true. I got my chickens at auction so who knows what is really hidden in their heritage. I suppose they could have been crossed somewhere down the line, although I was advised they were pure. People say all kinds of things at auction though [​IMG]

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by