Where did they come from???

Pics

KettermanHillCoop

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 23, 2017
Pennsylvania
The story:
Chickens...4 hens and 1 rooster, magically appeared at my workplace. Where did they come from??? The novelty of the birds was entertaining...that first week. The second week, I named them and worried that they would be hungry. I bought Multi-grain Cheerios at the local gas station (chicken feed not a staple there) and started feeding them. The beginning of the third week I bought Raisin Bran as the little gas station no longer had Cheerios...and still didn't stock chicken feed. I began to worry about my new feathered friends' safety. My workplace sits along a busy interstate highway and our business is with the truck industry. Not the best habitat for critters. They have taken to roosting on our radio antenna and "free ranging" outside our service door. I started eating my lunch outside the service door to hang out with them. I decided that I will adopt my new friends and give them a loving home. I spent that entire third week Googling "how to build a chicken coop" and sketching out plans. (1) I am NOT a carpenter. (2) I know nothing about chickens. :)

I just spent the weekend building a coop. My opinion thus far is that chicken wire is the most evil material in the world to work with. My arms are shredded and I have frayed little holes in my pants. As of this writing, my friends are milling about outside while I sit inside wondering how I'm going to catch them after work... I'm sure the security video of that fiasco will end up on Youtube somewhere...

The template questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Absolutely new! / Didn't catch them yet...stay tuned!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Hope to have 5!

(3) What breeds do you have?
Chickens. Pretty ones? lol My Google research has me guessing Rhode Island Reds and Cinnamon Queens?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Googling for guidance!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, billiards and reading

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Currently my family thinks I've lost my mind. My Scottish Terrier is a cat trapped inside a dog's body. My 180lb Chocolate Lab thinks he's a lap dog. I'm a bookkeeper with zero knowledge/experience with chickens...but I do love eggs! :)

Last edited:
BantammChick...I hope I uploaded the pics correctly...
Chick2.JPG
Chick1.JPG

I would ask around first and make sure. But you could catch them by following where they roost at night and taking them or setting up a pen and throwing food in it and closing it behind them. I hope other BYC members can help! :)

The other businesses near us have no idea where the chickens could have come from. They are roosting 10' feet from where are door is. You can see the antenna in the one picture.

The other businesses near us have no idea where the chickens could have come from. They are roosting 10' feet from where are door is. You can see the antenna in the one picture.

They do look like someone's backyard flock just took a vacation, haha, I once found mine at the local primary. I think you should just take them in then. They look like cross breeds to me

Back
Top Bottom