Where did this chick come from?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by AppleValley1, Apr 20, 2019.

1. AppleValley1

AppleValley1 Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Hello everyone. This is my 1st post. I have a small flock of chickens that are in 3 separate pens. I have a pair of black cuckoo english orpingtons in one pen, a chocolate English orpington rooster alone in one pen, and a black australorp rooster, a RIR hen, buff orp hen, BLRW hen, chocolate english orpington hen, and 3 black australorp hens in another pen. First let me say I did not put them like that, I've been taking care of my daddy and came back home to them like this. I decided to hatch some chicks since I've not done so in about a year. I started small, had temp issues, got back into the swing of things, ended up with 2 babies hatching out. One is blue, which I assume is from the BLRW hen, and one that my husband and I jokingly say came from the grocery store. This is what I need help understanding...this chick is a buff color with dark brown stripes down it's back and has feathered feet?! Did the stork deliver my baby? None of my birds have feathered feet and I've never hatched a chick this color(s) before either!? How did it happen and who did it come from? I thought all the chicks, besides the black cuckoo pair, would be black except the blrw chicks could turn out blue laced or solid black. Please correct me and explain how this happened. Thanks a bunch. And I'm very elementary on my color genetics comprehension level too, thought I would throw that in.

Attached Files:

BlueBaby likes this.
  2. Leigti

Leigti Songster

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Buff Orpington mama?

AppleValley1 likes this.
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    You might have to wait a bit longer to see how it is going to feather out.

AppleValley1 likes this.
  4. AppleValley1

AppleValley1 Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    My main concern is the feathered feet though, all my birds have clean feet/legs so how did this baby pop out with feathered feet? I've hatched hundreds of chicks off my birds and other than my buff silkie I had, I've never had one hatch with feathers on their feet from any of them. I've only had the australorp too and hens for a few months though, they were a happy from my hubby, so maybe they are not PB? Idk...its driving me nuts!

chrissynemetz and BlueBaby like this.
  5. BlueBaby

Mar 21, 2016
    Many of the breed's were developed during crossing's of other breed's to get the end desired result. Such as in the Australorp's have Langshan in the distant lineage. Those did have feathered feet. In other word's, you could have a throw back to a distant back- gene.

6. AppleValley1

AppleValley1 Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    I guess a little history homework would have been wise, I thank you for making that point. It never even crossed my mind to look at foundation stock to get my answer, duh me! You are AWESOME too btw! Have a great day!

lsmontgomery76 and BlueBaby like this.
  7. BlueBaby

Mar 21, 2016
    Hey, none of us know these thing's in the beginning. You learn as you go.

8. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Your australorp rooster isn't pure.
    If he was he wouldn't be throwing chicks with that down color.

ChooksNQuilts and AppleValley1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: