Where did this color come from???? Maybe splash silkie...

jossanne

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Gila, New Mexico
This baby silkie is a week old today. His mama is partridge and his daddy is black. BUT... grandparents could have been b/b/s and white. I bought b/b/s eggs to be shipped, and then found out there were white in with the seller's b/b/s. Out of those hatching eggs, I hatched 8 babies... 3 white, 3 partridge, a black and a buff. I kept the black and the nicest partridge.

So how in the world is there a splash-looking baby from these parents??? WEIRD!
13038_wing.jpg

13038_1.jpg

13038_2.jpg

13038_3.jpg

13038_back_view.jpg

And I just like the attitude the baby is showing in this pic! Silkie babies are dolls...
13038_attitude.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar situation last year - the chick turned out to be a very light silver partridge (aka "gray").

Or, could the mother have been a blue partridge and/or could the father have been a very very dark blue? A chick has to inherit a blue gene from each parent to be splash, regardless of what the grandparents were.

Quote:
Well, when the mama was little, I thought she was blue partridge, but by pics I showed on here everyone said she was regular partridge. If daddy is blue, he's the darkest blue possible. Both cases, blue partridge and blue, would be wonderful, but I'm surprised if that's the case. I realize how blue/black/splash genetics work, and that's why I'm so surprised by this chick.

The best pictures I have of the parents are when they were maybe 4 months old.
P7230002.jpg

P7230028.jpg

P7230091.jpg

This is mama's fluffy bum when she was small, looking blue.
P5080002.jpg

P5080038.jpg

And here's daddy at 5 weeks when I thought he was blue.
P5060001.jpg

Last edited:
So, with those pics of the "splash" baby's parents, do you think there's any way they are blue and blue partridge? Baby is looking more and more splash every day...

Daddy of the mystery baby is Blue, not black. He's just super dark. I have a blue little roo thats like 15 weeks old? and he went from being a light light blue at 4 weeks when I got him to being nearly black now with a blue undertone. I expect when he molts he will be nearly as dark as my black roo Sampson.

The mama is very strange looking so blue at a young age then turning into a normal patridge. hm...But she has to have a blue gene in here somewhere to create a splash baby.

I agree that baby is a splash
tongue.png
awesomely cute little booger too.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

That silkie chick is so adorable! It has a green beak! So cute!

My daughter named it Kermit in honor of its green beak!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom