Where did those black legs come from?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sheila3935, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a BR roo and RIR hens. I set some of their eggs, only 4 were fertile. Day after Thanksgiving They hatched all 4 of them. Yea! Ok now the question. These chicks have black legs. I know for a fact that it was BR roo over RIR hens as none of the rest of my girls are old enough to lay yet and they are in a separate run where the roo cant get. I think maybe my BR is a mix I got him from a lady selling babies raised him from 10 days old. The thing that makes me think he is a mix is he has some green tail feathers and a little gold in his hackles. I have another BR roo and he is just black and white no other colors in him. Here is a pick of Lindy where you can see his green in the tail feathers and a pic of one of the babies with black legs. What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I'd say your roo is a mix. Plus, his feet are partially black.... see the black on the front of his legs?

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yeah his has been that way almost since I got him. Now I wonder what these babies are going to look like. Cant wait til they get feathered.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think your Rock is "purebred," just hatchery quality. Honestly I have seen hundreds of BR's from hatcheries with grey/black on their legs. . . I think it was dominant, and passed to the offspring.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Hatcheries sell a lot of Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock sex-link chicks, and many of them have dark legs! I couldn't figure it out either... Yellow + yellow = dark greyish color? I only have one Black Sex-link, and she's got dark colored legs. A friend of mine has several, and most of them have the dark legs... I don't get it! I'll be hatching a bunch of RIR x BR chicks next spring and I'm curious to see what I get!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The offspring should be Barred. [That is if he is pure for Barring and not a Black Sex-Link]

Chris

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Me either! I had some black sexlinks that were BO dad x BR mom and they hatched out with BR looking legs that changed to solid slate colored by the time they were grown!! I loved the color of their legs coz it was so dark, darker than anything else I've ever had!
    Hen on the bottom right
    [​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Me either! I had some black sexlinks that were BO dad x BR mom and they hatched out with BR looking legs that changed to solid slate colored by the time they were grown!! I loved the color of their legs coz it was so dark, darker than anything else I've ever had!
    Hen on the bottom right
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_eVTlu3ivenA/S7qJfVI9xvI/AAAAAAAAAjE/_HDiqO48hec/s640/SANY0976.JPG

Cool! You did a BO x BR cross too!!! I hatched quite a few of these this spring, and this was another puzzle to me... BO=white legs, BR=yellow legs. Why did my 22 pullets have yellow, white, willow, and slate legs?! *SIGH*

Here's a pic of one of my slate-legged birds... I think this cross makes some good lookin' hens! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    This seems to have gotten away from the question.
    Barred Rocks are based on Extended Black which puts black into the legs, & Barred which takes it out, a balancing act. By mating to a RIR you have unset this balance, good news is that the darkest legged chicks are usually pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by