Where did your girls lay their first eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brooster, Oct 4, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My girls are 23 weeks old and no eggs. Where should i be looking for the eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine started letting me pet them and also the last few days they were inspecting the nest boxes alot.All within 2 days of the first egg today [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Did they lay it in the nest box?

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Mine started laying in the nest boxes, but recently one that just started laying has decided to start laying in the eves of the coop. I caught her getting up there, placed her in nest box and let her stay there till she layed the egg. I have had no more eve eggs since

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My first one was found in deep in the bushes behind the coop. She had a made a nice nest and we found her sitting with the egg. BUT since she always lays in the nest box in the coop. We had a bale of straw in the shed and found a huge double yoker on top one day...it had to have been a first egg. We're getting a lot of double yolkers!
    So the 6 that are laying are definitely laying in nests...and I set up a nest in the shed for them in case they want a change of scenery. I catch several checking it out and sitting in it quite frequently!
    [​IMG]
    My poison ivy on my face from egg hunting still hasn't cleared...but is better! [​IMG]

6. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I found my first one right outside the coop. Then the next 6-7 just inside the coop. Yesterday it was inside a nest box.[​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Oh...hehe...sorry...yup, in the nest box. I was so excited i just said what i wanted to and not what you asked LOL

8. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    My youngsters will be 23 weeks on the eighth and out of 14 only one is laying...a RedStar. They are starting to check out the nest boxes and one od the EEs is mating.

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have nesting boxes in our hen houses and also one in the workshop where are dogs live. Our new layers have been using the hen house and one in the dog house. Early on a few would lay in dark places in the workshop on shelving.

10. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    In the nest box [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by