Where do chickens like to be petted?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suenrob, May 13, 2008.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I have a few chickens that are very sweet and don't mind being picked up to sit in my lap. I kind of pet them like a dog, on the head, and under the chin. Do they like this?? They will sit there, but I can't tell if they really enjoy it, or would rather just get down. ( I really think I enjoy it more than they do)

So what do the rest of you do to cuddle your babies?

2. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    One hen likes her comb carressed. My other hen likes it right behind the ear lobe. They seem to close theur eyes when I do so.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Penny liked to be scritched right at the base of her skull..Obelisk will deign to let you pet her back and tail, when she wants...

4. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Ese loves his comb and waddles massaged....Gracie goes for the comb and likes to be pet down her back slowly. ...but it is all on their schedule.

5. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    My ss used to always eat hairs. Specifically, long dog hairs. So I was constantly pulling her close and removing long hairs from her beak. Now, she loves her beak rubbed. Closes her eyes, and sometimes "purrs". She makes the funniest noises!!! Steph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by