Where do hatcheries get their chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Dec 6, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What with filling massive orders for hundreds of breeds of chickens, I would like to know the/living conditions of the chickens and roos that are supplying this massive number of chicks..... I am envisioning a slaughter/ laying house conditions with hens and roosters mass producing eggs. Has anyone researched this? Do we REALLY know anything about these commercial hatcheries?

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Good question! I have often wondered that. I try to buy from local breeders when possible, just to support small farmers and to know the source of my animals. Plus, you can tour their farms and make sure you WANT the birds.

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    they get them from breeders on farms.

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:No we do not... Like a puppy mill, we only hope to get the offspring and raise them happy and healthy. The "raising" of livestock is not necessarilly a pretty or what you might consider humane thing... But if you do not want to starve half the Earths population it is a necessary evil... Raise and grow what you can... Be thankful that you are doing your best.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I now have a rooster to hatch chicks, but I always want new breeds. I try to get my chicks from feedstores that support local breeders, but that's not always possible. I don't want to support inhumane chicken practices....one of the reasons I have my own chickens to begin with.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:seems like 75% or maybe even more "hatcheries" now a days dont even own a single bird. They all are just selling the TRUE hatcheries birds and marking them up.

But yes, those that do have thousands of them, never seen one in person, most likely some really nice ones, and like anything else, most likely some horrid ones. Personally I no longer buy from any of them, all breeder stock for me

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Yea, ok, but what are those "farms" like? I KNOW they aren't chickens clucking around free range and happy.

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:No we do not... Like a puppy mill, we only hope to get the offspring and raise them happy and healthy. The "raising" of livestock is not necessarilly a pretty or what you might consider humane thing... But if you do not want to starve half the Earths population it is a necessary evil... Raise and grow what you can... Be thankful that you are doing your best.

Yea, but we know a lot about puppy mills and where NOT to buy a puppy...aka pet stores etc. But how to find out about Chickens mills?

9. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:Dont be so sure of that. If a farm is supplying a hatchery with chicks they most lickly are only raising a couple breeds at most. I would think they would all be free range or at least a rotating free range to help supplement the feed cost of the hens.

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:seems like 75% or maybe even more "hatcheries" now a days dont even own a single bird. They all are just selling the TRUE hatcheries birds and marking them up.

But yes, those that do have thousands of them, never seen one in person, most likely some really nice ones, and like anything else, most likely some horrid ones. Personally I no longer buy from any of them, all breeder stock for me

I've never ordered from a hatchery, but I know that some of the birds I bought from a feedstore came from those big name hatcheries, and I don't know that I like it. Especially when the quality of the birds is considered "hatchery quality" and not "breeder quality"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by