Where do I find tin roofing panels?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickygirl2, Aug 18, 2008.

1. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Lowes and Home Depot carry the plastic kind of roofing material. Who has tin panels to make a roof? I am in Maryland. Thanks!

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Have you tried a lumber yard?-Not a box store but, a regular lumber yard? I know ours here either carry some or can order it.

Have you tried contacting a carpenter or contractor? They maybe able to get them for you.

3. long_valley_chicken

long_valley_chicken New Egg

Aug 5, 2008
    Long Valley, NJ
    I just bought a bunch at Lowe's yesterday

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Lowe's here carries them.

5. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Yeah, lowes carries it, its not cheap though.

I used it on my chicken coop because i had some left over and i got a few pieces of scrap from a metal building company that was going to trash them.

You might try that as well if you dont mind the potential for the roof to be multi colored.

6. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Maybe my search term on lowes.com of tin roof isn't right. What is the correct term? How "not cheap" is it?

7. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Quote:Yeah if you search it on their website i believe it's not there because some stores don't carry it, that's what my guy at Lowe's here told me, and you may find it under roofing panels [​IMG]

8. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    The tin usually comes 36" wide, its wider than that but that is what will be exposed when you butt it up. Last time I bought it from a local lumber yard it was 2.10 per foot..so a 10 foot length is $21.00. It is more expensive from Lowes or Home Depot and usually they just have galvanized. If you order it from a lumber yard you can pick the color. Also you may want to shop around some auctions.

9. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't assume you can get it at every Home Depot or Lowes. Our lcoals stores don't carry it.

Phyllis

10. stephen_tx

stephen_tx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    Midlothian, Texas
    If you can't find it at one of the box stores in your area and they don't sell it at one of their stores within driving distance you can order them from Mueller Steel http://www.muellerinc.com/ or do a search for steel roofing on the internet.

Stephen_TX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by