Where do I get an apron?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patoot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    My girl is still getting her feathers picked off (or picking them herself). The goo to stop picking isn't working. So will an apron work? Where do I get one and how do I use it? Like does she wear it all day and I need to put a clean one on every so often or what?

Thanks.

Bree

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here is a link to a thread that includes a pattern and I believe answers your questions on how to use the apron. Depending on where your chicken is getting pecked (back or other area) the apron may or may not help. If she is getting pecked on the back where the apron will cover, then it should help! Good luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5318147

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:BTW, if you don't want to sew your own, search "apron" on this site and you will find places to purchase them.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
  5. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks. Yes, she is getting picked on the back. I checked for the millionth time tonight to make sure there are no bugs/mites/lice on them and nada. I checked vents and in btwn feathers. Very clean. So it's a picker and on closer inspection, 2 others have evidence that they were also slightly picked, though it's not down to the skin or anything. More like broken feathers. I think Matilda is the culprit, but I can't be totally sure. [​IMG] So I'm off to buy aprons since I can't sew. Thanks!

Bree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by