Where do I get dirt? Lots of dirt?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lengel, Apr 27, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    My house is built on a hill. The backyard slope is OK until about 2/3 of the way then there's a steep drop and a whole bunch of brush, medium sized trees and saplings for the last 1/3. The last 1/3 is a mess and I literally lost a chicken in there last year.

Our tree guy came out today and gave me a great quote on clearing the whole mess out with the exception of three large trees. My plan is to make the slope much more gradual by filling it in with dirt.

So, where do I get the dirt? And someone to spread it around because that's a lot of dirt. Who would know how much dirt to get?

Thank you!

2. bigkford

bigkford Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Start by advertising for clean fill dirt that is being removed from a job site. Ask around your community anyone that has a skid steer or backhoe some way to move the dirt. See if they are not willng to barter with you in enchange for something they want. I myself called both county and state for any dirt they needed to dump and got what I needed to start leveling things out. Just got the clean after that. Some times fuel money, or baked goods, or my canning it worth checking out.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Once you get some dirt,

Some times you can rent the equipment for $100/day, but shop around to find the best deal. Then hurry and finish it in one day!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Go to craigslist and search for fill dirt.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    How about under your house? HaHaHaHa! Sorry. I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by