Where do I go to find

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by atfkbattrick, May 16, 2010.

1. atfkbattrick

atfkbattrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Avilla
    where do I go to find out what breed to breed with what to create a different breed of chicken? I want to breed my chickens to create different breeds than I currently have~

Please dont get mad, as I am a starter chic! [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Unfortunately, breeding one breed with another breed will only make a mixed breed bird. It takes several generations to achieve a specific breed. Try breeding something that you like.

Say you like the color of one type of bird, but you like the egg-laying of another or the personality of another. Try that cross and see which ones out of that you like.

Breed for a purpose or breed for fun. I suggest breeding for fun in the beginning, just to see what you get. Once you know what you're specifically wanting to breed for, then you can narrow down which breed characteristics you're going for.

3. atfkbattrick

atfkbattrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Avilla
    Yea, I kinda figured it would take a few generations to get a breed. I really want a lavender silkie, but unfortunately the only silkies I have right now are too young, but I think they might be males [​IMG] *and they are buff colored** but that was the first eggs that I EVER incubated, so they are special to me, and my daughter!

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    without a specific plan, you will end up with mutts. the rolling method takes 2 pens and a few years and good choices and much culling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by