Where do I go to learn this chicken language?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustMandy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I'm new [​IMG]

I have caught the chicken bug and want more, MORE I SAY!! Right now I have your run of the mill back yard flock of cross breeds.

I'd like fancier breeds and I'd like to breed them but don't know these words y'all use! What's a rose comb? What color is willow? I know there's questions I don't even know to ask.

What book or site do you reccomend for me to learn (besides here, of course!!)

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Tell you the truth, I knew VERY little about chickens just a year ago. . . And it was simply going through this forum, reading a lot, getting interested in different breeds, and even looking through FeatherSite that got me to all what I know today. Eventually things will catch on.

For starters, a rose comb looks like this:

[​IMG]

It is either broad and flat or rounded, and points out in the back, but with small lumps running along it.

Willow is a faint greenish color, usually referring to things like "willow legs" found on Araucanas.

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'd pick up the Storey Guide's at TSC. You will learn alot just lurking on the forum. I've only bred chickens and ducks for a year before that I knew nothing. I basically did the same thing Illia did. I think that is the recipe for sucess. It might take you a bit to find a breed that works but when a breed does click its like a light bulb went off and you feel like you've had ducks and chickens all of your life

[​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Fantastic. I'm great at lurking. [​IMG]

Wow, Chris, thanks! That is a very full post!

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] Beware the addiction and becoming a victim of chicken math.........

Welcome! You'll learn A LOT just by perusing this site. And you'll get addicted to it too-fast. It's worse than FB. [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Thank You...
    I have some more to add to it but it is a work in progress..

Chris

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Also, a great starter book that I loved is "Chickens for Dummies." Aptly named for me, and began feeding my obsession.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    JustMandy,

Willow:
    • The dusty yellowish green color found on the shanks, feet and toes of some breeds and varieties of some fowl.

Chris

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Check out Rosetta Stone; seems like I read someplace that they have a course in Chickenese (or something like that).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by