Where do I inject tylan50 into my turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenboy1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chickenboy1

chickenboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    my wild turkey gobbler has an eye infection or a big lump which I read was a eye infection and they said to inject the bird with tylan50 so where do I inject it at?

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Dont inject it just shoot it down his throat. 1cc per 10lbs body weight twice a day for a week. Take the needle off the syringe body after you extract teh tylan and shoot it down his throat. If you inject do it like behind the wing just under the skin but it is not recommended to inject into muscle because it can cause muscle damage.

3. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    Should the swelling go down or how do I know it is working?

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Tylan works quick, the swelling will be donw in days but make sure to treat for at least 5 or 6 days.

5. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    Ok I will but when I went up to my barn to give him the Tylan he was breathing wierd like you could hear a garrgle sound is that normal? And the swelling is still the same but it's only the second night

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I usually use two needles, one I use (like an 18 guage) to suck the gunk out of the sinus, then I use a clean needle to draw the Tylan and inject right into the sinus.

Editing to add that it does sound like a respiratory infection, Tylan usually works really good for that. Like Jason11 said, don't inject into the muscle, it can cause permanent damage.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    Where do I stick the needle to get all the stuff from the sinus?

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I stick it right into the area that is swollen. If your turkey looks like the 'cheek' area is swollen, that is the sinus.

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If you use Tylan 200, it is much better than the 50 and you don't have to treat as much!

10. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    I inject Tylan beneath the skin not into the muscle . The breathing sound you were hearing was a (wet) sound . Sinuses or a respiratory infection . AS others have said Tylan is the best for that .

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by