1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do I keep fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dyorto, Jul 6, 2016.

1. dyorto

dyorto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Michigan
    I finally got my first egg so I'm trying to read up to make sure I don't waste any. Do most of you store your fresh eggs on the counter or the fridge?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Refrigerator! I wash and refrigerate mine every day, and they last a long time. In 'olden' days, before refrigeration, they sat unwashed on the counter. Some people still do that, but the experts tell us that one day at room temperature is like one week in the frig. That convinced me! For hatching fertile eggs, on the other hand, wiping them off and storing up to two weeks at cool room temperature is best. Mary

3. dyorto

dyorto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Thank you! I will wash and refrigerate then!

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Wouldn't know why most eggs have to be washed. I only have to clean one or two per dozen at most & I do that when I am ready to use them. Washing them makes them age quicker also. Usually I only have to wipe off a smudge of mud. I do refrigerate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by