Where do I order a small number of chicks ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuts4hotwheels, May 25, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Where can I order a small number of chicks? I only able to have 5 chickens or less, but I am having trouble finding a place that will let me order only five.

2. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    My Pet Chicken accepts orders as small as three, I believe

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Nature's Hatchery says they can ship as little as 2 chicks, and they have a large selection.

Have you considered hatching eggs?

4. Nevada Desert Chick

Nevada Desert Chick Out Of The Brooder

If you live in a major city you can order as few as 3 from My Pet Chicken. If you live 1 hr from a major city, the minimum order is 8. (I'm expecting mine by Friday! [​IMG] )

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I would suggest going to a local feed store, or looking on craigslist, rather then ordering them from a hatchery. Just for the sake of travel. I got my girls from a local feed store and it has been nothing short of wonderful. Make sure whatever store you go to has a clean setup for their chicks. Just IMO [​IMG]

Also, check around your local 4-H if you have one. The kiddo's breed and incubate the eggs, then sell the chicks. I got my first hens from a 4-H hatch and it was also wonderful [​IMG]

P.S. I went to several feed stores around Sacramento, comparing the care offered for the chicks. Don't be afraid to explore and experiement! I settled on a feed store that was a ways from my house, but they had the least amount, if any at all, of dead/sick chicks. Their chicks were warm, happy, dry and had plenty of clean water/food. I know sometimes chicks die in transport and such, but some of the feed stores didn't clean out the deceased chicks and it was just an awful sight.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I live in a small city and my pet chicken has sent the minimum which is 3

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I have Cochin Bantam chicks, I will sell & ship you 2 or 3. PM me if interested. They are beautiful (Mille Fleur & Splash) & can be seen on my website. [​IMG]
    ETA: Not day-olds, mine are 3-6 weeks old for shipping.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Cackle hatchery will sell you "city special" of five. I have also seen My pet chicken sell fewer and I think McMurray too. You just pay more for the extra heat pack they put in there. Feed store best bet, if reputable so you get what you think you are getting, although feed stores by me have min of 25 and you have to explain the city rules and they will waive.

9. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found a local breeder that will have several different breeds hatching this weekend, but they are only straight run and I am concerned about getting a cockerel. They agreed to switch out any cocks for a hen later when they could be sexed, but I was worried about getting a couple of cocks, the family getting attached and then having to get another one.

10. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I had two orders of chicks delivered by MPC this spring, and had a very good experience with them. If you're unsure of whether you live close enough to a major airport for them to allow 3 chicks, give them a call. I found them to be very helpful and friendly. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by