1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do I put feed? It seems to take up too much space in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChxLadyCass, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Yes, take it out, unless you are leaving town

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, leave it for them to eat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    I feed my chickens outside very often. I have recently introduced 5 new gals to the flock and I have been throwing feed and scraps all over the yard to keep the girls occupied. Since I have been feeding them so regularly, they don't really eat too much out of the feeder in the coop. The nights have still been freezing, so I keep their water heater in the coop where it can be hooked to electricity. I know mice come and try to eat the hens' feed. Should I just scrap the feeder and only use it when I am going out of town? My boyfriend used it when he and his daughter would check on them once a week, but I spoil these ladies daily now. To clear out the coop and make more room or not?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You could just do a quick "No Waste Feeder" that protects the feed from weather, which would allow you to leave it outside at all times without worry of food loss to weather
    [​IMG]

This is one like what I am talking about, it can be made with buckets, etc.

3. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    That's a great idea! Any issues with rodents getting in at night? I have seen mice in our coop a few times and wouldn't want one getting stuck in there!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have rodents, you should bring the feed in every night. You are most likely loosing a lot of feed to them, in addition to rodents being vectors for a lot of disease. Or you can switch to fermented feed. They can't lug that off to their nest. The best way to control rodents is to see to it that you NEVER feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by