Where do I put food in the tractor?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lanaschix, Oct 17, 2015.

1. lanaschix

lanaschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    We just got a new chicken tractor and we are going to move our 2 month old chicks into it today. These are our first chickens.

They drink from chicken nipples attached to water bottles right now and eat out of chick feeders and have free access all the time.

The new tractor has a closed coop part on top that will be locked at night. There is a ramp down into an enclosed run that they will have access to during the day.

I am planning to hang a bucket nipple waterer and hanging feeder from the ceiling of the run part.

The coop part will be locked at night due to predators in our area. Do I need to put any food or water in that part?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    This is only my opinion. Everyone does it different but I put mine in the top. This way they always have access to it. And if for some reason I can't get out early enough, they still have it.

3. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    Hmm, I'm not sure there will be enough room for the full size food and waterers in the coop part. This is a good size tractor but there will be 12 chickens in there. I could put additional food and water in there I guess just in case.

I did also wonder about attracting pests or predators if it is in the run part.

4. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    You will find that different people do it different ways . Really comes down to what's best for you . As long as you're able to let the out first thing UN the morning, it should be fine in the run. As far as unwanted guest, this is my first year with chickens but I've been lucky and haven't had any that I know of. Good luck.

5. shamrockmommy

shamrockmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    In our 4 season tractors, the food is under the roost/coop, protected from the rain.

The waterers are chicken nipple style hanging out in the opposite end of the run.

Hope this helps, we love our tractors :) Would love to see pics of yours. Mine is in the avatar.

6. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Wish I could post pics. Nice tractor! I built my on. Doesn't look as nice as yours.

7. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is our tractor. We are in Florida so it can rain a lot

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Great looking coop. It kinda looks like mine. What size and how many will it hold?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. lanaschix

Jun 21, 2014
    It's 4x10. I was told it can hold 12

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by