Where do I put my wire apron....?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Minflick, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Minflick

Minflick Chirping

Jul 26, 2014
    Boulder Creek, California
    [​IMG]

Here's the coop (in progress). The run will be from the coop to where I'm standing. I know I need to put (and bury) a wire apron out from the run walls, and I need to safeguard the coop also, or the transition from coop to run. But, where should the apron be with regards to the coop? Do I just wrap it around all 4 sides? That seems a lot simpler than anything else I can think of! The base of the coop isn't quite 18" off the ground.

I am ready and waiting for suggestions!

Minflick
    Future chicken owner

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Think about the concept of Fort Knox: no one gets in. I wrapped the wire around the coop to block the legs. The apron I extended 24 inches out from the bottom of the fencing at any point and laid it on the ground. I added some stones and bricks to keep it in place. Over time the soil and weeds hold it in place. The objective is to prevent burrowing.

I have such an apron at all points along the fence. The sole door to the run has an iron grate in place of the wire, because I had one on hand and thought it would be easier to install than the fencing.

I have watched dogs try to dig into the run. They start at the bottom of the fence to dig, but give up because they cannot get through the wire. They don't back up and back up looking for and end to the apron.

Chris

3. Minflick

Minflick Chirping

Jul 26, 2014
    Boulder Creek, California
    Forgive me if I'm being stupid - so, 24" apron out from the coop cinder blocks also? I can do that. I'll have to get more plumbers cloth, but I have to get more anyway. I've got 2x4 wire fencing that I'm not sure where I'll use, I thought I was getting a much smaller mesh.... I expect I'll use the 2x4 on the 'roof' of the run, as I don't know where else it would be safe to use. Rocks on top of the apron I can do too, since weeds don't grow thickly enough under the trees to help hold anything in place.

Gah. It's a good thing the birds don't arrive for another 6-8 weeks!

Melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: