Where do I put new chickens?

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
We only have 1 coop and we are getting some new chickens this weekend. I know that I am supposed to keep the newbies separate from my other girls, so my question is...Where do I put the newbies?

We really don't have enough money to buy/build another coop at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can use until we make sure the new girls are okay to put in with the old girls?

Thanks so much!
~Caran

Depending on how many your getting, I would put some of the temporary fencing up away from the other chickens. Inside the fenced area I would probably use a large dog crate...the closed in plastic kind...to use for them at night. Sometimes your local Humane Society will loan them for a short time if they have enough on hand. Check on Craigslist in your area.

Dog crates work well. Parrot cages, if you know anyone w/some to spare. If you have a spare spot in your garage
you could use some of those dog pen panels, or kids plastic pen panels etc and throw some netting on top. If predators are not a problem you can use some step in posts/metal T posts and some plastic barrier netting w /bird netting on top. Uh, hope that helps a little.

I am getting three birds tomorrow as well.
I might see if I can keep them in a dog crate at my MIL's next door for a month.

should be interesting. she might say no. Then I am going to wish that I had a chicken tractor!
sad.png

Here is link to what we did. It was VERY cheap and VERY easy to make...took us about 2 hours. And we are making another today. Our two Welsummers are in quarantine right now. We have them in our garage for now.

You will have to scroll down to the video to see our breeder/quarantine box. If you want info on it let me know.

http://journals.aol.com/breakaway1968/hangin-wit-my-peeps/#Entry2598

Quote:
I looked at the link, but am not exactly sure what I am supposed to be looking at. The birds I am getting are about 12 -13 weeks old.

We used a large folding outdoor dog pen with bird netting over the top, inside a garden shed I was able to clear some space in. I'm SO glad we did too. We were given a dominque hen that a coworker found in his yard. She was pretty and friendly, seemingly healthy. Within two weeks she died mysteriously. No idea what happened. There wasn't anything in the shed that should have caused a problem. I'd have felt awful if I'd exposed my other to hens to something contagious.

This is my problem.. all of my shed and garage are taken by birds. I guess we need to hurry and make a duck pen so I can put the new chickens in the garage. DH will be thrilled! NOT!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom