Where do I put the food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl555, Oct 23, 2017.

1. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    A few people have told me to put the food outside at night so it doesn't go stale/bad. I wanted to know if this was true, and/or where I should put it, and when? It's not a big problem, I only have 6 two-month-old chicks.

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Where do you normally feed them?

3. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Currently I am just bringing the food outside in the day and locking it in the coop with the chickens at night

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    That approach is fine. Unless you're giving them a ton, they'll eat it long before it goes bad. Only time you need to worry is if it get's wet. Wet food will mold, but not right away. The fermenting folk out here can give you a better handle on time frame. I generally will dump anything that got wet the next day if they haven't finished it. Mine get fed twice a day and they leave very little in the troughs.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Food left out, whether in the coop or the run, overnight tends to attract unwanted pests.

Hen Pen Jem and rjohns39 like this.
  6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    IMG_8078.PNG I lock mine up in a small metal trash can with a very tight fitting lid at night when I lock up the coop.
    It prevents rodents from eating and (knock on wood)
    Keeps them out of the coop as well.

GRB73, venymae and rjohns39 like this.
  7. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mine has to come inside the house at night. The bears are a real nuisance this fall.

rjohns39 and staceyj like this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I try not to feed more than my chickens will eat in one day. If there is any leftover it comes into my house and will go back out in the morning. If I don't bring it in the house there are a plethora of rodents that will eat it at night. I don't want to be paying to fatten the neighborhood pests, nor do I want them coming around. So day time it's in the run, night time I take it away. They don't eat overnight while they are sleeping anyway. When they were younger and still growing sometimes it would get locked in the coop with them so they had access to it whenever they wanted. If it's raining or snowing the food goes in the covered part of the run to stay dry.

rjohns39 and staceyj like this.
  9. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    If you don't clean up the spilled food at the end of each day, mice and rats will come. Those critters know where the food is and will try to get to it, no matter what (unless the pen it locked down like Fort Knox). But, if you leave food for them on a daily basis, you will have an infestation...maybe even biblical!

I have auto feeders in the chicken run, they get closed up and any spilled feed cleaned up, each evening. The feed is stored in the garage (where my cats and Rat Terrier sleep), in a metal trash can with tight fitting lid.

Yes, and as rjohns39 says, moldy feed is deadly! The type of storage container is dependent on the humidity where you live. It is dry and arid here 90% of the time. So, I have had no problems with humidity building in the storage container. However, I must thoroughly clean out the autofeeders every Spring and Fall, due to rain and use of the misters during hot weather. Feed can cake deep inside the feeders, if mold develops the chickens could get poisoned if they eat it.

Anyways, that's what I do.

[email protected] and rjohns39 like this.
  10. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Thank you for all the advice, what most of you are saying is lock it up in the coop or take it away at night. Thank you and I will begin doing this!

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: