Where do i vent my plastic around the chicken run? Best location recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AshleyMcCash, Dec 5, 2014.

1. AshleyMcCash

AshleyMcCash New Egg

Jun 7, 2014
    Hello all!

We have wrapped our chicken coop for the winter. We get a lot of wind and wanted the ladies protected. But I think we need more ventilation. So I am reaching out for recommendations! Do you do all up high? Some low some high? With the natural wind path or opposite?

[​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Where do you live that you feel that sort of wrapping is necessary?

In the vast majority of locales, that sort of thing does more bad than good. Chickens are very well insulated, and they do much better with cold temperatures than they do with slightly warmer, very humid situations (which is what you have)

4. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I put plastic shower curtains up on my run as a wind break.

Here I covered the area above the roosts which is the North wall. I also covered the large window to the right over the nests, but left the 2' vent up above the window open to allow moisture/humidity to escape.

[​IMG]

It's kinda hard to see here, but if you click on the pic, you can see where I have shower curtains up along the the west wall of my coop. I left the end (south) wall open, as well as the east wall which is in the barn alley. In the second pic, you can see how clear the end wall is compared to the side wall. You can see out, but it's kinda of distorted.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you look close, you can see that I did not bring the curtains all the way up to the top of the coop. I put a board along the top of the curtains to keep the wind from ripping them. There is a gap up above the red boards, you can see in the 2nd pic, to allow some air in on that side.

The shower curtains work great as a wind break. By leaving 2 walls open plus the upper vent over the nests, it allows plenty of air exchange without creating too much of a draft. So far I haven't had any moisture problems.

Which way is your coop facing? I would put plastic up on the North side, probably all the way up. Then, depending on which way your wind blows, I would put plastic up and leave a gap along the top, maybe 1 or 2 feet. I would definately leave a good size opening along the door wall of your coop, since your moisture will travel up along the roof line and then out the gap.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by