where do the grit and oyster shells go?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daddysgirlz, May 20, 2010.

1. daddysgirlz

daddysgirlz Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    M, WI
    Just got my chickens the other day and have not figured out where put the grit and oyster shells? In their food? Sprinkled in the grass where their run is? How often do I give these, everday? They are 14 week old silkies. Help.... Dave

2. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    If all they are eating is the crumbles they don't really 'need' grit. That would be if they are eating bugs and grass. Some will add it to the feed, others will put it in another bowl for them to eat as needed.

The oyster shell the same way. If you have a high enough calcium in your feed, you won't need it. I very rarely feed oyster shell to my chickens...only when I notice the shells are thinner than normal.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I offer grit and oyster shell in separate cups, placed on ground in my run (some place sheltered from rain). That way I can see how much the hens are consuming and know when to offer more.

However, don't offer oyster shell until your hens are laying. They don't need additional calcium until then.

4. daddysgirlz

daddysgirlz Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    M, WI
    thank you that helps alot!!!!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like to use those little hopper style rabbit feeders, that hang on the wall. They take up very little room and can just be refilled once in awhile. Any bowl will work, too.

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Mine have a bowl with oyster shell in it all the time and when I had young ones I offered them adlib grit in the same way.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's best to offer it seperately. You don't know how much your chickens need but they do. If you force them to eat a certain amount in their feed they could get too much, too little, or just knock all the feed out to get what they need. One of my coops has sections next to the main part of the wooden feed for grit and oyster shell. The bigger one I use the pans from the bottom of rabbit cages to throw treats, grit, and oyster shell on.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I followed another BYCer's suggestion and nailed an empty tuna (fish) can to an inside coop wall. I keep it filled with oyster shell.

9. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Quote:What a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by