where do they lay when...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebertschic, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    All my hens lay in the same nesting box. One has been in there since I got home from work, so I can't see if there are any eggs in there. But what happens if she's gone broody and won't get out? Where will the others lay?

2. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    oh trust me.. they will make arrangements and somehow manage to lay in the box, or the floor. but most likely the box

3. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    Ok, she stayed on the nest all night and was in there this morning. I found an egg on the floor in the middle of the coop and put it under her. If I get home tonight and she still hasn't moved, is it safe to say she's broody?

Should I get a new nesting box and put in the the middle of the coop where the other hens can lay while she's in there? They free range during the day and I'm so affraid they will lay all over the place and snakes or something will get them and I won't be able to find them.

4. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    if she stayed in the nest all night then shes most likely broody. when you put the egg under her did she make a weird noise? if so then for sure she is. and make sure.... if you want to hatch eggs, you MUST put all the eggs that u want to hatch under her the same day.. once 1 chick hatches shell sit a little while longer and leave the rest of the eggs... so u have to put them all under her at the same time. and yes if that is the only nesting box i would put another one in there. if you dont have a rooster and dont want to hatch eggs.. you can dunk her in ice water for a few seconds (like 10ish around there) and that should cure her broodiness.

5. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    ice water brrrrrr...never heard of that

6. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    yeah seems a little harsh, but it cools the body temperature down making them no longer broody. a bunch have people have had success with it im surprised you havnt heard about it! look it up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by