1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do y'all find pallets?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ydkjenn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Everywhere I've been asking tell me they send them back to shipper/distributer to recycle and use again, so I don't know where people are getting free pallets from!

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Check CL (craigslist) and I get pallets from my cuz that owns a feed store.

3. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Try Home Depot or Lowes.

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    You might want to do a little research online before you start using pallets. I know they are all the rage on this site, but studies have shown that many are laced with pesticides, carcinogenic chemicals and serious bacteria. Just do an online search for "dangers of wood pallets", and you might think twice about using them. Many choose not to "believe" these reports because they are already using pallets for projects or want to "believe" they are OK because they are free and cheap, but make sure you do your due diligence. I used to use pallets for many projects until I started educating myself about the REAL risks. Now, I will gladly pay for lumber cut at a local sawmill because I know what I am getting, and not taking a chance of compromising the health of my animals or my family. Remember, frugal does not mean "cheap"; it means to choose wisely.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    I work for a pallet company and can say that's not always true. Most pallets are heat treated, there are very few fumigated. Take a look at the pallets you're getting and look for a US heat treat stamp on them. Stay away from the foreign ones. China will have a CN stamp, Taiwan will be TW, Korea is KR and so on. There's no telling what they do to them before they're shipped over here.

6. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    without doing the research moonshadow suggested (too lazy at the moment) My guess is what it would reveal is that pallets , especially pallets that have been reused multiple times, come into contact with various chemicals etc. Think of 55 gal drums of chemicals etc. leaking onto the pallets. Pallets being scraped through spills by forklifts etc. Now my take on this would be that I doubt it would be any more dangerous than using pressure treated wood in your coop build, which I have no problem with. Though I understand others would have a problem with it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  7. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    First off I am not pallet pro, but there a difference in pallets not all some are returned for money (heavy duty) type. Then there are some that aren't worth returning to a pallet co. This is the pallet you can get for free.
    P/S
    I got mine from a hot tub dealer, size 103" x 83"

8. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by