Where do you advertise chickens to sell locally?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bellatrixed, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    I know I will wind up with roosters I don't want from my st. run bantams, and I had the idea that it would be nice to get a little feed money by selling some point of lay pullets down the road. But then I hit an obstacle... where exactly do I advertise them?

I know BYC has a sales section, but I'm not sure how many users are in my area; I'd advertise here regardless, but still.
    The local newspaper charges an exorbitant "breeder's fee" to list animals. I tried to sell six goslings through the newspaper years ago and was told I'd have to pay $70 in breeder fees. Ummm... no.
    Craigslist is the obvious choice, but I've had very bad experiences with it and am incredibly leery of it.

So, would I have to suck it up and use craigslist, or does anyone have any suggestions for advertising local sales that work well?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I use Craigslist. Set up a new email just for Craigslist so spammers/scammers can't get your real email and always meet somewhere other than your house. I like meeting in grocery store parking lots. Lots of foot traffic and most have security cameras on the parking lot. There are idiots out there but, honestly, I have had my best luck with Craigslist.

You can also print fliers and post them at your local feed stores. Big R usually has a book or two near the popcorn machine where you can put a flier.

3. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Huh, that's a good suggestion about meeting somewhere like a parking lot... my main aversion to craigslist was not wanting to have creepy people come to my house. :p I'll also have to check and see if my feed store has a bulletin board. Thanks!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also do feed store boards and craigslist. I'm fine having folks come to my house, but when I've bought from folks who aren't comfortable with that we usually meet, well, at the feed store! Grocery store/wal mart parking lots are also good, any public place like that--a busy park, an active church lot, etc. But if it's animal related I usually suggest the Grange, and almost always the other person says "Great idea, I have to go there anyway"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by