Where do you buy an hygrometer? And what make?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have just realised that I don't have one and it sounds like they are pretty darn important pieces of equipment... What is a good reliable make and where on earth would I look for one? [​IMG]

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I have 2.

An Amprobe THWD-2, which retails at $115 but I bought new, on Ebay, for $30. It is guaranteed accurate to 3%RH over the range.

A Sprinfield PrecisionTemp, which I bought for $6 at Walmart. It won't register lower than 20%RH, but other than that is usually within about 2% of the Amprobe.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have purchased around 6 of them and the best one and of course the most expensive is a Fluckers available at Pet Smart or Petco. They are made for reptile habitat and are designed to be kept in humid climates.

You can also get a fairly good on at Walmart. The Accurite is pretty reliable but a bit large for my needs. I have a small incubator and it takes up way to much room.

Don't get one that is designed for a humidor for cigars. I found those to be very unreliable and I believe others have as well.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    The *Hair Hygrometers* are the worst. They work, kinda, when new, but the hair gets contaminated and they gradually deteriorate.

I was gonna get a Flukers .... in the end the Amprobe came up and it does well.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    ps .....

If you go to Ebay, try searching for *psychometer* rather than *hydrometer*.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    er ... *psycrometer* dand spelling [​IMG]

7. mrs. twigg

mrs. twigg New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:er... third time's a charm??? Jeez! Go to bed already!! [​IMG]

And you told me English is your first language...

[​IMG]

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I got mine at a cigar shop.

9. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    i got mine at wal mart too and so far it has worked pretty good. it is both a hygrometer and a temperature gage. its digital and seems to be working good. plus it will giv eme the highest temp and lowest temp snce i last checked it. which is good for when im not home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by