Where do you buy pine shaving?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by americanshorty26, Sep 6, 2008.

1. americanshorty26

americanshorty26 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Where can I buy pine shaving? Should I put dirt down underneath the shavings?
    Thanks

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    You can buy pine shavings @ TSC or Family Fare and Home or sometimes the feed mill.

Not sure why you would put dirt under them. [​IMG]

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Pet stores carry pine shavings, Miejer, and Target do as well. Most feed stores will also carry them. Different stores charge different prices so it's best to look around.

4. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy mine at the local Agway store. You should be able to get them from any feed store and even some pet stores. They come in 5 cubic feet blocks.

It is generally recommended to only use the pine shavings inside the coop. They get too wet if you use them in areas exposed to the weather and quickly become moldiy. I'll assume the inside of your coop has a wood floor and isn't dirt.

To ease cleaning some people cover their wood floor with a sheet vinyl flooring material but this is not entirely necessary.

Hope this helps.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Tractor Supply Company, Agway, alot of country stores.

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Walmart and K-Mart sell pine shavings as well TSC and pet stores.

7. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    I buy the big blocks at Big R.
    I know they have them at Walmart and TSC, too.

8. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I get mine from the same feed dealer that brings me my hay and then they get delivered for me along with the hay. Since I need to buy around a dozen bales of shavings at a shot every other week it saves me ALOT of work and having to take a trailer to the tractor supply. But if you have a stable around that sells hay they probably sell shavings too.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I buy my shavings at TSC...the big block thats the size of a bale of hay is $5...the same size bag at walmart was $17 just be sure to check prices

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:What happens if your floor is dirt? I use shavings on my dirt floor should I not use them on a dirt floor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by