Where do you buy your bulk foods?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicks4kids, Jan 14, 2011.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I grow alot of my foods that I can but I'm looking mainly for kidney beans, navy beans, northern beans, etc. My grocery store seems to have dried beans cheaper than what I can find anywhere online but I don't want to mess with all those little 1 lb. bags. Plus, my Sams club and all the surrounding ones do not stock dried beans [​IMG] I think I'm just not making the connection on where I should be looking for these specific bulk items...

any ideas as to where to buy them?? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My grocery store has a bulk foods section, and they will order you the WHOLE bag of whatever they sell, available in 2 days.

Or, they will sell you a bag of whatever they have in the back. Gotta check prices though to make sure it isn't way cheaper in the little bags per pound.

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Costco, Top Foods, Winco....but not often. We have to go an hour or more to any of theses stores.

4. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

http://www.nutsonline.com/search?q=beans

You
    can buy 1#, 5# or 25# Price per pound goes down the more you buy [​IMG]

I love NUTS ONLINE! They are super fast in shipping too. And their follow up emails on your order and shipping are so much fun!

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If there are any Amish in your part of the state, look them up. Several have moved into my area and they have at least 2 bulk stores easy driving distance from us. If you find one, and don't see anything out in the size you like, ask them about bulk rates.

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I get my rice from Sams. 50# bags are real economical and it stores a long time.
    I get my dried pinto beans from our local Food City. 4# for $2.69. A year and a half ago they were $1.88. That's the cheapest I've found anywhere.

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Most ethnic food markets here carry bulk inexpensively, 25 & 50 lbs.

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'll have to check the amish stores nearby....

9. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Quote:I second the Amish stores. I have two or three within 45 minutes of me.

Also, for dried beans, check your local grain elevators. Around here, they bag up dried beans in large quantities and sell them. Any where from 5lbs and up.

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

look for the mormon stores too. good prices!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by