Where do you buy your grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, May 30, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I can't seem to find any at the feed store or tractor supply. I am planning on free ranging. But at first when they are in the run do they need grit if they are eating treats as well as feed? Where could I buy it?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    where you buy your feed should sell it or should be able to order it

you may have to call a more rural feed supply store

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    When I hard boil some eggs for the flock
    I cool them in ice water , peel and the toss the shells into the micro
    for a minute to dry them out.
    put them into a plastic bag give it
    a few rolls with a rolling pin and feed it to the flock giving
    them grits and calcium at the same time.
    alls well that ends well and
    our feathered friend s are just fine.

or pick up some small gravel if you have a gravel drive way
    and toss them a few handfulls.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Egg Shell are not a form of grit works good for extra calcium but not a grit... Take a piece of corn and push it up against a egg shell what one brakes/ cracks first? I bet it is the egg shell... [​IMG]

If you cant find grit at your feed mill what you can do is go to Lowes and get a bag of All Purpose Sand it will work just fine.
    Don't use Play Sand it is too fine and likes to cake up when wet..

Chris

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Go to another feed store. Mine sells 50# bags of granite grit for about $10.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Sorry, but egg shells do not serve as grit. It's a good calcium supplement, but the bird digests it. The grit that they need for their gizzard should be something insoluble/indigestible, like granite chips, gravel, small rough edged stones, etc.

Never offer calcium supplementation to a chicken before she reaches laying age, by the way. They just don't need the extra calcium.

7. randyandmegs

randyandmegs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Columbus NC
    I go to the creek on our farm and get sand/gravel/small rocks from there. I read about that tip in one of the Polyface books. Worked fine for my birds. I sprinkled it on some paper then put feed on top of it.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When my chooks were really itty bitty I bought one box of parakeet grit (without added calcium) at walmart.
    After that I just took a spade, went out to the edge of our gravel driveway and dug them a pan a dirt with small stones. They'd pick out the "grit" first and then dustbathe in the dirt.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. pongoid

pongoid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    I have three kinds of ant hills around my yard, Big black army ants, regular brown ants and fire ants. Each one has nice size grit for the chickens to forage.

I haven't let them yet because I am afraid the fire ants will hurt them or be poisonous to them.

any ideas.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I can buy chick grit (really small) or pullet grit (at least 1/2 inch pieces) at my feed store really cheap. The manna pro grit at TSC is too expensive, but the 5lb. bags have a size in between the two mentioned above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by