1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you buy your litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coffeehead11, Dec 15, 2009.

1. coffeehead11

coffeehead11 New Egg

Dec 14, 2009
    Warrensburg
    Where do you buy your litter for a deep litter coop? Knowing how much they like to go, they could blow through several of those $5 walmart bags a week without a lot of effort.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I get mine from a feed store, they are bigger bags than the walmart bedding, but smaller shavings. I am looking for a bulk supplier.

3. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Feed Store or Tractor Supply.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    petco

5. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I get mine from Bagdad Roller Mill. They supply to the horse farms in the area and it has to be a good grade. One bag will do a 12X12 stall nicely. Sometimes its smal shavings and sometimes a little larger. Personally, I like the smaller shavings....easier to clean.

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I get mine from my local lumberyard. They have a shop where they plane a good amount of wood. The best part is that it is free for the taking. All I have to do is scoop it into garbage bags. I buy a box of 20 garbage bags for $5 bucks, and I get close to $100 worth of wood chips when they are all filled. I get free bedding and they get rid of something they would have to pay to dispose of.

If you have a local lumberyard with a mill, check and see if they have it available.

7. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Farmers COOP. Big bags at a low price!

8. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I buy Compressed bales from the Feed Stores. $9.00 a bale. There is a post on CL Arizona. for 10 lb. bags. $10.00 for his. West Phx.

I will check and see if I can find a co-op around me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  9. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    $ 20 for a compressed Bale @ the Feed Store.

I tried the free Lumber Mill stuff it was not very good, to much moisture in it.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Feedstores are generally the least-expensive, as it is being sold in big bags for livestock bedding not small bags for gerbils [​IMG] I pay about $5 a bale, which is, what, something like 3 cu. ft and expands when released from the wrapper.

If you are using deep bedding but removing it all every week or two, then yes, it gets expensive, but that is not necessarily the best management approach... there are a lot of other ways of doing it, most of which use less bedding, and honestly the traditional deep-litter method (where you just let it all accumulate, possibly picking out the worst spots from time to time, and stirring it and adding new bedding on top, until a problem develops or springtime arrives) uses just about the LEAST amount of bedding [​IMG]

One thing that will greatly decrease your bedding use is to make droppings boards under the roost, and scrape 'em daily. Or you can do a droppings-pit arrangement that gets cleaned less frequently but that will not improve air quality in the coop and some ways you do it can end up using more bedding than a daily-cleaned board.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by