Where do you buy your pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MichiganWoods, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I really would like to work with a good dust free pine shaving for in the coop. I've found a ton of places online that sell this stuff in bulk for equines... but I don't need (and have no place to store!) a semi-truck load, or even half a semi-truck load! Does anyone know of a place online you can buy dust free pine shavings for a decent cost (less expensive is good), that will also deliver smaller amounts?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I get mine from Tractor Supply

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I get mine from my federated co op here at just a little over $5 for 3 cubic feet here is a link to the site that makes it. They screen it for dust so its not as bad as most shavings.
    http://www.dejnos.com/wood_shave.html

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I used to get mine at Southern States (5 something for 3 cu ft) Now get it at TSC (4 something for 4 cu ft) - Thats a big difference in price and quantity.

5. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    All of our local feed stores sell pine shavings. So do pet supply stores, such as PetSmart. They're a little more expensive at pet stores, but you can buy smaller packages there.

Paula

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    If you are looking for low-dust, you maywant to look into woody pet

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have been getting mine at Wal-Mart in the pet department.

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I used to get mine at Ace Hardware and TSC. I got a much better deal at Ace hardware. I no longer buy them due to my finances. I take my 96 gallon rolling trashcan and rake into the woods and get leaves. I think you are better off to find a store that sales them. If you have them shipped I think the shipping will always cost more than the product. Shavings are heavy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by