Where do you buy your poultry supplies in Northern New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnap1967, Aug 5, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I apologize right off if this is the wrong place to post but I had no idea where else might be good. I live in Northern New Jersey and not many people have chickens around here it seems. I know of one place around here that sells a couple different chicken supplies but honestly it's limited to feed and LG incubators. I hate to order over the internet and wait for shipping and paying the extra money to have things shipped.

I know there are members who live in Northern New Jersey and I am wondering where they get their chicken supplies. I would hate to have some kind of emergency come up and not have anyplace to turn to for supplies. Besides that I am going to need to start buying things like DE, feeders and waterers.

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    When you say, "Northern NJ" do you mean the urban NE or the more rural NW. I would think there are farm supply stores in Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex and Passaic counties.

I'm from South NJ (Shamong), so I don't know what there would be if you are talking Hudson or Essex counties. A lot of parakeet/parrot stuff at Petsmart can be used for chickens. It is not as cheap as at a farm supply store though. Brooder lamps can be had at the Home Depot. The sales associates won't know what you are talking about, but they all stock them. Usually in electrical. In fact, I think I bought my brooder lamp at the HD in Springfield, NJ.

There are not that many chickens down by me either, and I'm in a rural area. Horses yes, everyone seems to have them. But chickens haven't caught on yet. Probably because of the bad rap eggs have gotten in the last few decades.

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I'm in Hunterdon County and we use TSC or the local Agway. I know there is a TSC in Flanders if you are near there. There's also a big place in Branchville but I can't remember the name of it. If you PM chickenlady I know she goes there! Good Luck!

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Quote:Sorry I should have been more specific. I am on the border of Passiac and Bergen County. Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

5. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I am also in bergen county and looking for chicken supply store...

6. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    I'm south jersey, Salem county. I had great luck in Oxford, PA at the feed store.

7. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    hmm. i'm mostly looking for an ecoglow... that i don't have to purchase over the internet...

but http://www.westwoodfeed.com/

has chicken feeders and waterers and food..

8. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I am in Central Jersey. Somerset County, but on the borer of Union County. I go to Tractor Supply in Flanders. It is the closets one stop shopping.

It is about 40 - 45 minutes away. But there is nothing is suburbia around here.

Plus I am thinking of making my own feed. More organic minus the soy.

Still tinking about it though. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by