Where do you get rare breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CinnamonQueen, Aug 20, 2013.

1. From a good breeder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. At a hatchery (e.g. Greenfire Farms)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Start breeding them on my own!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    The "start breeding" answer is more for people who want to get a rare color of a breed. (like if someone has black australorps and they start breeding to get blue/splash australorps)
    I'm asking because I want to get blue australorps, ameracaunas, or orpingtons sometime and I don't know a good source to get them from.
    Thanks!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    First I would say to start doing your research on them, so you know what the chicks, teens, and adults look like. In this research you might find some breeders of these. Do your research on these breeders as well. I know there are some on here, and some have websites. It might take you some time, but in the long run you will be happier with the birds you get. Hope this helps you some.

To answer your question on where I got my rare breeds, at first mine were sold to me as a different breed as chicks or as mutts that turned out not to be mutts. Now I have gone years looking for these breeds and for good ones. Some times you have to get the good and the bad and work on breeding them to make them better.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by