1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you get seeds for growing greens hens can eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by plantguy90, Jul 19, 2012.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    I would like to do the wire covered growing bed thing to grow grasses and other greens the hens can eat. Where can you get a small and decent assortment of things like barley and alfalfa and other nutritious green things? Too many predators here, cant free range.

EDIT: I just ordered the Omega-3 mix from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. cadeschicks

cadeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
  3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use canary seed purchased at Walmart.

I have grown canary seed in potting soil and between wet paper towels. Works great for me and my birds love it

4. carolb5

carolb5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Montana
    We buy sprouting seed. Google seeds for sprouts. They can be eaten by us and our birds as sprouts or you can grow them out. Sprouting seeds are not treated with anything. Organic seed is easy to fine on line. Carol

5. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    You could buy a bag of deer food plot seed, they make one for spring and one for fall. Every fall we plant 2 seperate areas for the birds and rotate them in between each area, the food plots last all fall, winter and well into spring if you don't let them demolish it down to the bare earth. The food plot seeds cost about 15.00 per bag, pretty cheap greens for the money when they last about 6 months. Or if you are cutting the greens for them, you could plant one area, wouldn;t need the rotation system then.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I usually throw some rye grass seeds around during the fall. But I have a veggie garden year around & it really helps .My chickens love the veggies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by